A parent cannot relocate with their child/ children to another country without the consent of the other parent. This would be considered child abduction.

Ireland is a signatory to the Hague Convention on Child Abduction. Under this convention if one parent abducts a child and brings the child to another country that is also a signatory to the convention then the other state will bring proceedings in that country against the parent to force them to bring the child back to Ireland.

A parent can apply to Court for permission to relocate without the consent of the other parent. The Court will decide based on the best interests of the child and will take into account a number of factors such as the arrangements in place abroad, including living and educational, for the children and the support networks available there as well as arrangement to remain in contact with the parent remaining in Ireland.

Applications can be made to Court if a parent has a concern that another parent is likely to remove a child from Ireland without consent.

Contact us today to discuss your requirements.

Feel free to contact us in confidence at any stage to discuss your legal requirements
and one of our experienced and friendly team will assist you.